Sunday 21 March 2010

Game Faces

Thursday night saw the Cobras matched up against the new kids on the block, Heroes. Like many over at BUB, I thought this would be something like a cake walk. I was rudely awakened by the game that unfolded and tumbled before my eyes.

I will admit that I thought this was going to be an easy game, I came into the game expecting a little challenge from Jangles and Silent (or is it Agressive these days?) George. But mostly expecting to just walk in and take an easy 15 points and get home early. To say that the Cobra's underestimated Heroes is an understatement. We came into the game with nearly no respect. That is what lost us the game, that mindset.

The Heroes came out with a very effective poachy man defence. This caused many easy turns and blocks for them. They were really effective in utilising Jangles' speed and newly found flick huck. Jangles' was getting way too many hucks out, so the Cobras changed to a straight up force. This did nothing to stop the relentless hucks, nor did it get any of the down field guarders a block. With many of the hucks sticking and the Cobra's offence looking very shaky, the Heroes jumped out to a 2 point lead and took half 8-6.

During the break Cobra's leader, Wetnose, emphasized the fault in our glory game play. We were throwing shots for goals that were never on, all for the glory. He then went on to explain the consequences of such actions as "whoever throws the next shit huck, I am going to kick you in the balls". Not too many points later, Wetnose made a great swing cut, he sized up his options with the disc and saw a black uniform going long. His brain exploded and he threw a flick that floated gracefully into an empty endzone due to miscommunication, much to the annoyance and self-loathing of Mr Wetnose.

With that I reeled back in many of my choices and instead did not complete my short throws up the line and on dump passes. The tender Trachter turned up just to watch, but somehow ended up with his boots on and warming up to be injected into the game in hopes of steadying the Cobra's ship. The help never came.

The Cobra's continued to push the long shots, look off the dump and were still not believing what was happening, when sideline called time cap. Cobras had taken a few points back after half, but were still very shaky. The Heroes has just scored a goal to even it out to 11 all, on universe point.

The Cobra's were in prime position to play patient offence and walk the disc up the field for the win. But we could not shake the game that we had played all night and threw it away. With that Jangles swiftly hucked it down field and as per usual, a Heroes receiver was there to collect it. My memory of this goal has been swallowed by the misery that quickly enveloped me.

To say the least Heroes scored it, ending the game 12-11. Leaving the Cobras in disbelief. Heroes had a blinder that night, in the wise words of song smith Bob Dylan, "They had god on their side". Let it be said that the Heroes definately had their game faces on from the start, Cobra's were still looking for them when they went to bed that night.

We are already planning the downfall of the Heroes, if we are to face them next round (?), or in the finals.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I can just hear you sniggering as you wrote that first word in the tag.

Anonymous said...

Funny, because I can hear the tears drop onto the keyboard as those letters were typed. Common misconception - thinking that a person is lazy because he doesn't layout is a common misconception. But hucking it does take less energy... you'll get 'em next time, garden snake.

aL said...

hi jangles

Reece said...

I thought I had left the feeling of utmost disgust in myself and that sense of failure when I went to sleep on thursday night. Unfortunately it was dredged back up when I had to write about the game. A tear was close to rolling.

Jangles said...

That was not me al. I have no problem owning up throwing a minimum of 1 huck per point. That said i did try to pick my options where i could but my dumps often set up in the stack so it left me few options.

Also ill add george had a solid second half after some cold drops in the first.

Reece said...

still working up the energy/courage to layout jangles?

sensei said...

Reece isn't it time for a new post???

Anonymous said...

Something about this blog makes me want to play ultimate frisbee more. Good job on selling the sport with nice verbage and tender descriptions.