Wednesday 19 May 2010

Back to Back

For the first time last week, in Cobra's short but highly celebrated past, we broke a club record. Finally Cobra's have strung together back to back wins. Just in time too, as we come down to the pointy end of the season, Cobra's seem to have kicked it up a notch with a comprehensive win over Dojo Mojo.

The night started off as like any other Thursday night. Cobra's rocked up and threw for a while before getting into the pre-game ritual of the highly recommended dump-swing-score. The clock struck 7:40pm on that somewhat nippy night and stand-in BPL overlord Wetnose pushed the button on the timer to begin what would be a ground breaking 90 minutes.

The entire first half was trading with a break to Cobra's. At about 3-all. The Cobra's received the pull right at their goal line. Foolishly Isaac Stone got himself up to a high stall count against the Dojo zone. He looks for his dump in me, about 4m away. In what was a very easy break mark shot, Isaac somehow shanked the short pass. It was floating halfway between me and a defender. I could see him running for it and as I got lower to try to catch it, the defender got his hand to it and smacked it down. But I was still falling towards him and he was still running towards me. I was getting lower and lower until my nose and lips copped the full brunt of his shoulder. I knew it was going to bleed so I took myself off quickly to get some tissues.

The next few points seemed to haze into one another as I was frantically trying to stop the bleeding. Taking medical tips from people who had done a first aid course... years ago, Mike Nolan (who used to be a paramedic) and of course Isaac who is an absolute amature, I eventually stuck some tissue in my left nostril and got back on the field.

It was an O point that I rejoined. I caught the pull and looked to Trachter on my left. I think my eyes were still a bit shaken up because I threw it plain away. I took myself off and played sparingly until half-time. Cobra's went into half full of energy and confidence but knowing that there was still another half of ultimate to be played, the score being 8-6.

The score traded for the first 3 points of the second half, from then on it was Cobra's all the way home. Highlights included; Finn catching a Callahan, Abra getting some sweet horizontal D's, Dan Young using his hops to get blocks and 2 filthy (not in the good way) hammers from Wetnose.

So that was the night for Cobra's we played really sweet offence most of the time and hard man D. We also dabbled back into the zone from last week, which seemed to work well, even against Dojo being so handler heavy (by that I mean old) team.

This week sees the Cobra's got head to head with Minor Premiership contenders Moreton Bay Buggers. We are hoping to revenge this team for the draw the occurred between the teams last round. This time we take them on with more bite.

5 comments:

sensei said...

Yo Reece that bump to the head has made your memory as bad as mine.

It was 8-7 at halftime and Dojo levelled 8-8 with the first score. Can't recall what happened after that.

Anyway, I should just add that you lads played excellent disc from start to finish last week and thoroughly deserved the win. Time for a hat-trick this week.

Reece said...

thanks sensei. I like that you are accomodating of the younger generations linguistics.

Unknown said...

Finn caught a callahan?! Wasn't that last game?

Pete said...

I must have been really out of it not to notice Finn get a Callahan...

Reece said...

I take no responsibility for the validity of what I write. Fact may be fiction and fiction may just be there to make it interesting. Nonetheless most of the time the scores are right.