Saturday 5 June 2010

Premonitions coming to Fruition

So just a full round ago I declared that the Cobra's were going on a revenge rampage. Besides our bogey team, SFC. The Cobra's have started to fill out into the inflated skin they were put in by many players at the start of the season. We have turned a lacklustre start to the season into playing good frisbee when it really counts and coming into the finals, isn't a bad thing either.

So Thursday night against Passion was a real test for the Cobra's. The first couple of points were very close with the teams trading until about 5-all at this point I thought we really had a game on our hands. Cobra's finally got a break over Passion after some hard Cobra man D caused the turn. The pull went down to Passion's end as the Cobra's eagerly chased it, only for the Trachter pull to, as always, brick. Passion set up in a horo for John to bring the disc back in. The disc was brought in and cycled around for a while when I heard an up call. I saw the disc, it must have been an outside in J-mac forehand looking for Julz in the endzone. I was on Tyson who instinctively was also running for the disc, I was a couple of metres behind him. Wetnose was right with the loping Julz all the way and bodied him out of the competition for the disc. I thought he would catch the disc as He bodied Julz out so I slowed down. Wetnose kind of fell and let the disc fall behind him only for Tyson to streak through and catch the opportunistic goal. Passion then broke the next point to be evens again at 6-all.

The next point Cobra's scored with what might have been a home-grown inside-out backhand from yours truly to a streaking Micka deep in the endzone, only to take it what seemed to be less than a metre before the line. Cobra's then took a strategic time out.

Next thing I know it may have been 7-6 Cobra's or 7-all. Trachter or Abra might have been marking Dan and the stall count was getting high, I tightened down on Gref who was acting as dump. I could see the OI forehand go up and think 'that is a fair way out into space' the disc hit the ground and rolled nicely from about halfway to 5m outside the passion endzone. Trachter picked up the disc and called a time out.

The plan was for me and first dump make an upline cut and trachter to look for the second dump. I foolishly made the cut before the disc had even been checked in. Julz now knew my plan. I didn't know whether to continue with the play or do something different, with a little bit of imagination I knew what I would do.

I could see Julz pre-empting my upline cut so when the the disc got checked in he took a couple of steps towards the front corner of the endzone. I hadn't even moved yet, so he came back a couple of steps and that is when I went. He beat me to the front corner, but didn't keep following when I went deeper into the endzone. Trachter floated one nicely around the outside of the field for me to catch it right next to the line. Cobra's took half.

The second half saw one ridiculous incident of a stall being called by a Cobra's player on Gref. the disc was sent back and it came in on 9, only for Alex Livingstone to try to cheat and move before the disc came in, a violation was called on him and it got sent back again. It got checked back in and somehow Gref called a a stall on himself? Can we get any clarification on that? Either way the disc needed to be checked in once more. It was long and tedious, but we all eventually did it and got the game going again.

Passion's newest overseas recruit Dan showed us what the fucking Squids can produce. He was making big grabs all night and got a layout D on a stray pass from me to Abra. He is a very exciting prospect for Firestorm next year, hopefully.

Fast forward. The Cobra's are up 12-10 and Passion had been mounting a bit of a comeback in previous points. The Cobra's start on defence and as the pull goes down time cap goes off. J-mac might have gotten the disc and looked up field desperately and took a shot that didn't come off. Cobra's marched the disc down the field and patiently scored in the left hand corner of the endzone, Cobra's win 13-10.

Not it is time for the Finals and Cobra's have got those katakana reading boys from the Dojo. It should be a very interesting game. Also aL's short draft league is an interesting prospect for Brisbane Ultimate. It will be very useful to be getting game time before WJUC. Hopefully it goes ahead.

8 comments:

Giordannica Heckler III said...

wow, what a tedious blog to get through... maybe a reflection of the game. But, congrats on prevailing, clearly the American recruits catch your eye, Reece. Good luck on the finals!

Jules said...

That wasnt me cutting to the endzone when Tyson caught the sloppy seconds, FYI. I cant remember who it was though...

Alex said...

I sure do love me some cheating.

wetnose said...

Reece, are you sure you were even at the game?
1) The person streaking long that I bodied out only for you to slacken off wasn't Julz, it was Dan.
2) When that stall got high and the dump pass was thrown near you & Gref for the turnover, it was me marking Dan again.
3) No mention of the layout grab in the endzone? Come on mate, you could have got at least 1 thing right for the post.

Keep up the good work!!

PS. Alex, you love cheating?? As Pauline Hanson would say, please explain.

dstrel said...

*would HAVE, Reece.

Unknown said...

Is it just me or does anyone else not get the squid reference?

Also, I am pretty sure we scored about 11 points of a huck that night.

Giordannica Heckler III said...

Air Squids: UCSD team. How Reece knows this, I haven't a clue.

Jules said...

"Julz, I am sorry I am constantly looking at both of your chests"

Haha... guess who's chest Im always looking at??? Yep! You know it ;-)